Thursday, February 16, 2012

Blog 4


Blogpost 4

This week’s reading instigated many “blissful” moments in my mind and captivated much of my energy in days to follow. I felt that it was (the reading and my thoughts thereafter) actually rather controversial. On one hand, I truly connected and agreed with many of the statements. On the other hand, I was offended and felt that it was a biased opinion. I felt that everything is subjective because these are based on mere observations and the foundation is a non-neutral on looker. For instance, when he discussed history and how the educational system is in part to blame about our economic crisis, I didn’t completely agree… at first. Then, I read chapter 2 again and reflected upon it. Have we perpetuated the cycle of educational and catered educational opportunities to different classes and socioeconomic groups? When I am 100% honest with myself, I do see much of this hidden curriculum in my educational experience.
            For example, this year we have learned and operated (or tried to) under a new definition of fair. Fair is not that everyone has or gets or experiences the same. Fair, however, is that every individual gets what they need in order to be successful. Essentially, the starting playing field MUST be made equal. When you think of this throughout history and in the present, are we giving all kids access to the same information and the same opportunities to succeed and find their “niche?” My answer, is no. No longer do students raised in poor, failing districts have the same educational journeys or opportunities on their path. Another thing I am seeing constantly in my setting, as well as others, is in the area of special education and parent choice. Parents whom are educated and successful tend to know the “law” and make choices for their child in order to find the optimal environment for their child’s academic and social success. They know how to essentially “get what they want” and advocate for their child. However, the parents who are working extra jobs, or are not able to spend time getting educated in the ever changing world of special ed, sometimes do not have choices and do not understand/advocate for their parental rights. This too, is sad and makes me question our system. I have heard constantly that it just is the way it is and it is too hard to change. This statement and belief makes me sick to my stomach. It seems completely wrong and the antithesis of why I got into education in the first place.
I do not like to admit it, but I was in that middle-upper class growing up and I did see much of this. On page 40, Anyon discusses this kind/”type” of educational experience when she states, “work was often creative activity carried out independently. The students were continually asked to make sense of their experience-to think.” This is precisely how I was educated. And now I am realizing in my current position of leadership, it is not the “norm.” This brings about many questions and emotions. It also makes me question the field of education and the entire system that has become. How can we be proactive in the future and what needs to be done? This is the question that lingers and curriculum (hidden and academic) is at the forefront of this answer…

1 comment:

  1. Given my thoughts to explore assumptions about educating the Other informed by culturally relevant pedagogy, your ideas are prescient. DS

    ReplyDelete